Saturday, July 19, 2008

Food and the way I was raised

I look back now and see that I can honestly say that my parents food choice's for me growing up has played a huge factor in the way i am now and am trying my very best to change that for my kids.

I remember my mum coming to my primary school with fish n chips every
Wednesday and after school having 2 rolls with thick cheese lots of
butter and ham every day only to have a big plate of pasta steak chips
what ever she was cooking with lots of salt and going for seconds.

I was always praised for eating and there was no restrictions on food in
the house. Easter I would sit and eat all my chocolate and I still
do....and Christmas eat every meat there was.

I was put on all sorts of diets and never told i was pretty, or even told i was loosing the weight when I was on them, just "your getting there". Even now my dad tries to pass over the leftovers at our Sunday dinner even when we have all had huge amounts of food. "I'm full" he says, "but look the res plenty there finish it off".

It has never been out of spite though all its food, but given to me out of love.. Always wanting your kids to be fed and looked after and satisfied. We spent nearly every Wednesday night eating Chinese and Mcdonalds after mum and dad would finish their weekly game of ten pin bowling.

Its
only now that Ive had my own kids that i have stopped to think what I
wish they could of done differently. I know I was a reallystubborn kid, but i think it starts from birth. I really dont know how my kids will end up I can only do my best. Its hard to break the cycle of how we have been taught to eat along with the gene factor.

I remember eating until i felt so sick. I was always bigger then all the other kids and now always bigger then everyone else.

Im
an adult now and have made some stupid choices as well. Ive managed to
put on the last 30kg all by myself no one to blame but me. My husband
comes from a family of larger frames as well and we are bad influences
oneach other at times.
Im hoping the band will break the cycle
not only for me but my kids to see what mums eating and the portion
size will hopefully help.

I am at no means trying to completely blame anyone for who i have became but I do think my parents played a role in my weight gain over the years.


I think we are all now informed enough to know how to correct the
problem and I for one know that i never want to put my children through
the ridicule i had growing up fat... So i will do anything and
everything in my power toprotect them from the addictions of food and
hope that when they are my age they have bet the obese gene pool born
and can make the right choices to prevent what seemsinevitable.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
I got the Lapband on the 7th August 2008 and have lost just over 30kg in 4 months. This is my journey so far.... I am more then happy to help with what I have learnt so far being banded. Cheers Beena